Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Potato Biscuits

The recipe I started with gave me trouble when I tried to double it- too much flour. I'm very happy with the way it turned out though, light and flaky biscuits, served warm with gravy at supper time, or just warmed up with jam for a sweet breakfast or tea time snack. Of course I can't find the recipe I started with, but here's where I ended up...

Potato Biscuits

1 Tbsp yeast
1 1/3  Cups water
1 1/3 Cups sugar
4 heaping Tbsp lard
4 eggs
2 Cups mashed potatoes
2 1/2 tsp salt
8-10 Cups flour (until no longer sticking to bowl)

Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Let stand 5 minutes.

Add everything but flour.  Mix.

Add flour gradually, mixing as you go.

Let rise.  The original said until doubled, but after several hours mine hadn't risen that much.

Punch down.  Divide into 3 balls.  Divide each ball into 15 rolls.  Shape by hand.  Arrange in greased baking pans.  Let rise.

Bake @ 350°F 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment