Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Canning Cabbage

Canning cabbage was easy-peasy.  Chop and boil until soft, pack into sterilized jars, process 25 minutes @10lbs pressure.

I got 9 quarts from the little cabbages, plus enough to make this soup.  Husband returned from a bird run with two red and one white partridge.  The white went in the freezer, the reds went in the soup pot.
Cabbage and Partridge Soup

2 partridge breasts, diced
1 head cabbage, diced
1 small onion
4 medium carrots
6 potatoes, diced
salt and pepper to taste
water to cover

Simmer all day.

3 comments:

  1. I've been trying unsuccessfully to find ways to serve cabbage that we like. It's such a wonderfully nutritous vegetable that I keep trying to like it. How would you use the canned cabbage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was cleaning out my draft folder and found this post I had written in the fall, lol.

      I hated cabbage my whole life, until about three years ago. Then I had this bizarre hankering for my mom's cabbage rolls. She was out of town, so I had to get my sister-in-law to tell me how to make them. Then I ate some of the steamed cabbage as I was making them. Almost like pregnancy cravings, I just had to have cabbage. I've been eating it ever since.

      Mostly, I make cabbage rolls, or 'lazy' cabbage rolls with the canned cabbage. I just dump the jar into a roasting pot, water and all, break up some ground beef into it, add rice and tomato sauce. As the tomato sauce and water dries out I add tomato juice.

      I freeze snack bags with assorted vegetables that we don't like a lot of- cabbage, cauliflower, hot peppers, brussel sprouts, turnips, etc- so I have small amounts to add to stews and soups, without that one veggie overpowering the flavour.

      Delete
    2. The way you describe eating cabbage like having cravings it's almost like your body realized it needed whatever nutrients were in the cabbage.

      I'm going to have to Pin this page so I can find it again next fall when cabbage in in season. One of the local farm markets sells it 50 pound sacs for $12. You've given me hope. :-)Thanks!

      Delete