Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cream of Mushroom Soup

 Since the cream of celery soup was a hit, mushrooms were on the cheap rack at the grocery store, and Monday was Thanksgiving- turkey bones are waiting for processing- I thought I should give cream of mushroom a try.

Cream of Mushroom Soup
Mine is essentially turkey stock with mushrooms and salt.  I left out the clearjel- I only use cream of mushroom soup in rice, where it's the flavour I want, not the thickness.  I also left out the lemon juice, because I believe it's there to keep the mushrooms from becoming discloloured.  I don't much care what colour they end up, so long as they taste good.

1/3 cup butter
1 pound mushrooms, chopped or sliced
4 quarts meat stock
2 T. salt


Melt butter. Add mushrooms and cook until browned.
Heat meat stock in stock pot.  Add mushrooms and salt.  Bring to boil.
Put in jars and process in pressure canner for 45 minutes at 10 lb.pressure.
When opening to use, add equal amount of milk and soup.

Another shelf stable product to scratch off my grocery list.  I wonder what else I can use turkey stock for...

No comments:

Post a Comment