Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Plain, Boring, Cucumber Relish


Cucumber Relish

12 Cups deseeded, ground cucumbers
1 Cup deseeded, ground green pepper
4 Cups ground celery
1/2 Cup pickling salt

6 Cups sugar
2 Cups vinegar
2 Tbsp celery seed
1 Tbsp mustard seed


Grind veggies with coarse blade on meat grinder, combine in large bowl.  Sprinkle with salt.  Cover with water.  Let stand 4 hours.

Drain thoroughly.  Press out excess liquid.

Combine sugar, vinegar, spices in pot.  Bring to a boil slowly, stirring until sugar is dissolved.

Add veggies.  Simmer 15 minutes.

Pack into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Process in BWB 10 minutes.

Yields 9 pints.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,
    I just found your blog through rural revolution, and became your newest follower.
    Why do you say your relish is plain and boring? I made some sweet and spicy relish a while back and it was delicious. I will have to post the recipe some time.
    I saved a bunch of rhubarb in the freezer and have been looking for a good recipe for canning it. Thanks for the rhubarb raspberry jam recipe. I think it's just what I have been looking for.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome!

      This blog is the recipe 'page' of my real blog. For the long story go here
      http://whishin.blogspot.ca/2012/09/my-last-attempt.html

      Short version: Plain and boring was what I was going for. This was my third attempt at relish this year, and all I wanted was the standard fare you can buy in the grocery store. Every recipe I looked at was much more creative. I have a boring palate so I wanted a boring relish. I'm very happy with the results!

      Delete