Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Plantain-Comfrey Salve

Pick a bunch of plantain and comfrey leaves.  Chop them up roughly and put them in a baking pan.  
Add tallow.  The tallow was very hard in the jar, and has a beefy aroma.  I added a drizzle of olive oil, and some rose petals.
Stir and bake at 170°F (my lowest oven setting) for 3 hours.
Strain through cheesecloth.  (I didn't let it cool first, as it would start hardening).
Reheat the oil.
Add 3 tablets vitamin E.  Mix through. (Preservative).
Pour into jars.
It hardened to a lovely shade of green, with just a tiny bit of sediment at the bottom of the jars.  It smells pretty good, not really rosey, but not beefy either.  It's still a bit stiffer than I would like it, about the consistency of chapstick.  I'll add more olive oil to the next batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment